Finding the Right Insurance in Texas

Homeowner’s insurance is an invaluable layer of protection for what’s probably the biggest investment of your life. Insurance in Texas will not always be the same for every consumer. It’s important that you know what you’re getting into. There are general guidelines about homeowner’s insurance that may help. The Texas Consumer Bill of Rights is available at your request, but should be sent to you any time you get or renew a policy.

The average insurance policy will, in one way or another, cover the following:

  1. The dwelling itself is covered if the structure is damaged or destroyed by a covered loss.
  2. Your personal property is covered if it is stolen, damaged or destroyed.
  3. If you have other structures on the property (garage, shed, fence), they are covered for repair or rebuild, even if they’re not attached to the house.
  4. Loss of use covers living expenses accumulated if you cannot live in the house due to damage from a covered loss. Living expenses can include housing and food, and other essential expenses. The policy may cover a specific period of time (up to 24 months in Texas) or percentage of amounts of the dwelling’s coverage (an average 10 to 20 percent).
  5. Personal liability will apply if you have to defend yourself in a lawsuit if accused of being responsible for another party’s property damage or injury.
  6. Your coverage will likely include medical payments for third-parties hurt on your property.
  7. Some policies cover injuries or damages that may result when you’re away from home.

Types of Residential Policies

Texas is a big place, a world of cowboys and executives, big open spaces and cosmopolitan living. When looking into insurance in Texas, you want to make sure you have the right kind.

  1. Renters insurance can cover personal property in case of loss, theft or damage. Landlord’s are not obligated to cover any personal property in their structures (unless it can be legally proven the loss is their fault). Depending on the policy, renters insurance can cover forces that require you temporarily relocate.
  2. Condominium insurance protects belongings, offers liability protection, covers any additional living expenses and can cover condo damages, improvements, additions and alterations.
  3. Townhouse insurance covers an unique set of homeowner conditions. A townhouse occupied by its owner would have a policy that differed from one owned by an association. Associations can have master policies that may not cover the individual units, meaning residents may need separate policies to safeguard their personal property.
  4. Most mobile homes will have a mobilowners policy when the mobile home is used as a residence. These policies usually offer limited coverage. Mobile homes on blocks or a foundation may qualify for a policy too.
  5. Ranch and farm insurance cover properties where farming and livestock are managed and cared for. There is also insurance for outbuildings and equipment that qualify.

Insurance in Texas is ready to protect you and your assets under almost any condition. In certain areas, such as Galveston Bay or one of the coastal counties, you can get hail or windstorm insurance. Texas Windstorm Insurance Association, or TWIA, insurance comes into play if you plan to build, add or renovate the structure. With this coverage, you will be provided with official inspectors and engineers who will ensure any work is sound and meets Texas exacting construction guidelines and stages.

From potential expenses involving your sewage systems to mold remediation, insurance in Texas can be a complex and extensive process. Choose a provider like carefully and make sure you understand what’s in your policy.